Sunday, June 9, 2013

SEEKING STRENGTH FOR THE TASK

One of the areas of emphasis for the men that I associate with, from Businessmen in Christ, of Springfield, is taken from Philippians 2: 12 - 13.   This is the passage where we are commanded to "work out our salvation":

12 Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling; 13 for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure.    (NKJV)

The idea is to exhort people, beginning with me, to not be spectators, but rather be participants in works of service and in witnessing -- all for Jesus our Savior, to bring glory to God.    So, we need to keep on putting out the effort, as leaders and workers, in works of service for ministry.   But, when we do so, we need to remember to seek strength for our tasks.

A series of devotional messages that I have been reading, Leadership: Stepping Out in Faith, is a study of the Book of Nehemiah.    I have reprinted the message from day 24 below, which is  developed as a commentary based on Nehemiah 6: 9.

SEEKING STRENGTH FOR THE TASK

It becomes terribly frustrating when you are constantly being dogged by your enemies. In one instance, it is insults.   In another, it is petty skirmishes and in yet another, it is lies, deceit and intimidation.   Many of us would crack under such relentless personal and physical attack.   Nehemiah, however, holds fast.   God has given him a high level of wisdom, and he can spot deception a mile away.

Nehemiah does not fall for the intimidating tactics of his enemies.   He recognizes them for what they are, and as is his practice, goes to God in prayer, appealing to God for strength.
Nehemiah needs strength for the physical task of building the wall.   What are some other reasons he might need strength?

Deceit is pandemic in our society.   Speak out against it when it occurs, knowing that God’s power will back you up. 

Pray: Lord, let me be prudent in my response to those who attack my credibility and to those that are deceitful.    Strengthen my hands for the work You have called me to do, in Jesus' Name.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nehemiah 6:9   (NKJV)
For they all were  trying  to make us afraid, saying, “Their hands will be weakened in the work, and it will not be done.” Now therefore, O  God, strengthen my hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment